Monday, October 28, 2013

Double Digits

First Harvest: 2004
This past Saturday brought the last day of 2013 harvest for us as we picked our cool climate syrah from the vine.  Last Saturday also marked the end of our 10th harvest here at Stolo Family Vineyards. As I sit here and reflect, I am struck with how much we have accomplished as a small winery and how much our family has changed.  We’ve had many new additions to the family; births and weddings.  We’ve also had many, many losses; most recently, my Grandpa Stolo.  His passing affects me most definitely as a granddaughter, but curiously as a businesswoman as well.  

Dominick Stolo at work circa 1957

My grandfather, Dominick Stolo, started Stolo Cabinets out of his garage in Orange County in 1953.  It slowly grew into a thriving business my father, Don, eventually began running.  My dad has since taken Stolo Cabinets to a new level of success  I know my grandfather was pleased to see.  I watched my grandfather and father work closely through my childhood and adult years.  I saw what it took, and sometimes, how difficult it was, to run a family business.  It isn’t easy to build a business around a family, but it can be done.

Stolo Cabinets: Late 1950's

Family is one of the cornerstones of this winery and I hold it dear to my heart.  We are dedicated to producing a hand-crafted, quality wine we are proud to put our name on.  My grandfather did get to see the first 10 years of this winery take shape.  He got to see his son venture down the same entrepreneurial road he did and his grandchildren join in the journey.  

I plan to continue down the path.  I plan to follow in his footsteps, adding my touches along the way.  They are large shoes to fill.  But, hey, I’m a Stolo.

First Day: Stolo Family Tasting Room, November 2012

No comments: